…Hope Island we sailed on and spent a night anchored off the mainland at Cape Bedford. We had an afternoon of relaxation before moving on the next day to Lizard Island. Fantastic sail in 25 knots and we arrived at lunch time. After a yummy lunch of teriyaki marlin sushi (check it out on ‘cooking our catch’!) we went for a snorkel in the bay. Fantastic! Saw clown fish, titan trigger fish (Dwayne has a strong bond with these fish lol), huge bat fish, trevally, parrot fish, coral trout….. too many to name them all…
We had a good sail to Hunter Island. Once there, we went for a walk and discovered deer when we accidently frightened them from where they were sleeping in the long grass. I’m not sure who got more of a fright me or the deer! That night we had a few drinks around a fire on the beach with John and Mara from SV Chikita and also Irwin and George from SV Walt-zee.
We anchored between the jetty and the breakwater in Coffs Harbour about 1630. As soon as we set the anchor we had to clean the Marlin we’d caught. A big messy job! Our bait board, on which we usually clean our fish, was just a little too small (2 metres too small) so we cut the marlin up on the cabin top…. Wait! Did you say Marlin? Yep… read on for more about our tasty catch!
At 0930 I got a hit. The rod started screaming as the fish started running my line out. I grabbed the rod and realised I had a pretty big fish on it. I screamed out for Kelly to wake up. Kelly came staggering out of the cabin all groggy from sleep and I started yelling instructions to her…”get me the gimble belt for the rod”, “motor the boat forward”, “get a photo”, “go to the port”, “go to the starboard!”, “are you getting photos?”, “reverse!”, “go to the starboard”, “get my gloves”, “forward.. to the port”, “take a photo”, “get the gaff”, “starboard! starboard!”, “tie a rope on to the gaff”, “reverse”, “here it comes, get a photo”, “I need a drink, get me water”, “reverse, to the starboard” …
- South Australian Aviation Museum – 100 Years of Aviation History!
- South Australian Maritime Museum – A Journey Back in Time!
- Mega Adventure Sky Challenge – Have you got what it takes?!
- 6 Mouth-Watering Balinese Street Foods
- 7 Extraordinarily Cheap Things to do Around Munduk, Bali
- 7 Beautiful Bali Waterfalls Worth Visiting!
- Peace Haven Langkawi – A Review
- Don’t Buy Into Barbaric Animal Tourism!
- A Comprehensive Guide to Myanmar
- What Made Mandalay So Special For Us?
- 10 Experiences to make your Lake Inle Trip Awesome!
- One Delightful Burmese Cooking Class
Thank you for visiting!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for all the latest news and more!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously!