As we were sailing through the Bass Strait Oil Fields there were oil rigs all around us. They appeared as huge monoliths that would have looked more at home in a Steven Spielberg movie! Into our second night sail we had eight oil rigs around us and, as the sun fell, they lit up like small cities in the night sky. The setting sun was a glorious ball of red and orange.
This part of our journey didn’t go totally according to plan. Our calculations for the time it would take to get to Refuge Cove from Port Fairy were slightly out. Someone…..(not me) came to the conclusion it would take us around 44 hours sailing at 5knots. We averaged 6.5knots, left a little earlier etc. Anyway, needless to say our calculation were all wrong for many reasons, and after 32.5 hours we arrive at Refuge Cove at 2000 on a very dark moonless night, and proceeded to feel our way blindly into the cove, drop anchor and go to bed (thank goodness for GPS).
We walk along the wharf, where we tied up, and found plenty to see. Firstly, we came across the crew of ‘Putty’s Pride’ hand-making their crayfish pots on the wharf. A lucky look into the water, at just the right time, revealed an eagle-ray swimming by. Another ‘local’ which hangs out at the boat ramp, is a fur seal. A Nankeen Night Heron turned up early for his night time hunting and posed for me on the wharf!
… it was time to explore this beautiful town; best described as quaint. Port Fairy is so neat and tidy; no litter, no long untidy grass, no rundown houses. On the contrary the people here appear to be very house proud. The town is full of old building and cottages that all appear to be freshly painted! All the white paint at the wharf area appears to be freshly painted….. there is no bird poo on anything… yes there are lots of birds around, but where they defecated before Thorfinn arrive I do not know…
- What Made Mandalay So Special For Us?
- 10 Experiences to make your Lake Inle Trip Awesome!
- One Delightful Burmese Cooking Class
- A Quick Guide to the Mystical Pagodas of Bagan!
- Step Back in Time with a Visit to Yangon!
- 10 Things to do in the Picturesque Seaside Town of Ahuriri
- Tongariro Northern Circuit – A New Zealand Great Walk!
- Art Deco Festival – Absolutely Fabulous!
- Sea Walls – Napier’s Spectacular Street Art!
- 8 Stunning Island Destinations You Will Want To Visit!
- Unlikely Heroes get Tough with Trash in Paradise!
- How to get around Bangkok on a budget!
Thank you for visiting!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter for all the latest news and more!
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.
We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously!